Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers - Kent/Sussex Counties
DSHA offers a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program for DSHA-approved private rental residency. This program, offered in Kent and Sussex Counties, offers housing subsidies to eligible low-income individuals and families to rent existing, privately-owned dwelling units from participating landlords. The Delaware State Housing Authority administers 902 vouchers.
The Delaware State Housing Authority (DSHA) will be closing its Waiting List for the Public Housing, Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD), and Housing Choice Voucher Programs as of FRIDAY, MARCH 18, 2022. Applications will be accepted up to the close of business (4:30 PM) on Friday, March 18, 2022. Any applications received either by email, fax or regular mail after the above date and time will be returned. The DSHA online application process will also be suspended as of the above date. Applications already on the DSHA Waiting List will continue to be processed.
- Participants must enroll (or be enrolled) in the Moving to Work (MTW) program.
- Participants pay 30-35% of their income for rent and utilities. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development subsidizes the balance of the rent.
- Households whose gross incomes do not exceed 80% of the area median income may qualify for this program.
- Working families, elderly (62 or over) and the disabled receive preference.
- Applicants who reside in Kent or Sussex County have priority on the waiting list.
A list of units and Landlord contact information can be found at http://www.delawarehousingsearch.org or call 1-877-428-8844.
Would you like to participate in this program? Do you have questions about this program? Would you like to suggest an improvement to this Web page? Please contact a DSHA representative:
- Christopher Whaley, Director of Housing Management, at 302.739.7419
- Public Information Office at 302.739.4263
- Waiting List Office (Liberty Court) at 302.739 .6940