National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF)
NHTF is an affordable housing production program that will complement existing Federal, State, and local efforts to increase and preserve the supply of decent, safe, and sanitary affordable housing for extremely low-income (ELI) and very low-income households (VLI), including homeless families.
Funding for the NHTF comes from an assessment on loans made by Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac) and Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae). For Fiscal Year 2020, Delaware will receive $3.1 million.
FY2020 Annual Action Plan Substantial Amendment: National Housing Trust Fund
Availability of NHTF Funds
Funds for the Program will be disbursed through a competitive process.
How to Apply for NHTF
DSHA will distribute NHTF funds through the request for proposal (RFP) process in place for the State's Housing Development Fund and Low Income Housing Tax Credit programs. For 2021, the NHTF allocation will be available as follows:
$1,000,000 (a minimum of 20%) will be reserved for permanent supportive housing projects for:
- Chronically homeless with mental health disabilities or substance abuse;
- Chronically homeless; or
- Persons with disabilities, particularly persons with disabilities at high risk of homelessness or institutionalization
$1,700,000 will be used to fund affordable rental, multi-family projects in coordination with the HDF and LIHTC programs.
HDF and NHTF may be awarded to permanent housing for special populations.
- Funds may be used for development hard costs, acquisition costs, related soft costs, relocation costs; and
- Up to one-third of the annual grant amount, $990,000 may be used for operating cost assistance and operating cost assistance reserves.
- Application for NHTF for multi-family developments shall be made through the application and approval process already in place for the HDF and/or LIHTC programs. DSHA will charge a $1,250 application fee for NHTF funds.
Documentation and Applications
Please download and review the documents below to learn more about the NOFA for a NHTF Permanent Supportive Housing, get forms, and to determine if you qualify.
2021 Permanent Supportive Housing NOFA Funding Round Documentation
- NOFA – NHTF Permanent Supportive Housing Guidelines (PDF Document) Updated
- NHTF PSH Application – Part I (Fillable Word Document)
- NHTF PSH Application – Part II PSH Cash Flow Pro Forma
- NHTF PSH Exhibit Checklist – Part III (PDF Document)
- NHTF Underwriting Criteria (PDF Document)
- NHTF Design and Construction Standards (PDF)