Wilmington Senior Tax Assistance Program Overview
The Wilmington Senior Tax Assistance Program is designed to assist homeowners in Wilmington who are 62 or older and facing imminent foreclosure due to delinquent property taxes, or sewer and water bills. The maximum grant amount available under this program is $3,000. Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be 62 years or older as evidenced through photo ID or other form of official government-issued identification.
- Property must be located within the Wilmington City Limits, be the primary residence of the applicant who must be listed as the property owner on the tax records.
- Household income may not exceed $91,080 per year.
To apply, please contact DSHA at (302) 577-5001 to set up an appointment.
Required Application Documentation
- Completed Application
- Official government issued ID verifying proof of age
- Signed Authorization to Release Information form
- Copy of Sheriff's Sale Letter
- Most recent year's Federal Tax Return and/or proof of SS income
- If 65 or older*, copy of Application for Property Tax Exemption.
The completed Application, Authorization for Release of Information, Proof of Age documentation, current Copy of Sheriff's Sale Letter and copy of the application for Property Tax Exemption (for those eligible for exemption*) can be submitted via fax at (302) 577-5021, or by mail to:
820 N French Street
Wilmington DE 19801
Program payments of taxes and or water/sewer bills for approved applicants will be made by DSHA directly to the City. A letter acknowledging the amount and type of payment that has been made will be mailed to the grant recipient.
*Must be 65 years or older and not exceed current city income eligibility limits.